![]() |
| Source |
Not since the days of the fistest black afro pick has the concept of going natural been so widespread. Of course everything is relative. I mentioned "natural hair" to a friend today and found it a bit humorous as I tried to explain the paradigm shift that has allowed more and more african american women to embrace their God-given coils and curls, just as they arrive, with both arms, a willing spirit, a search engine, detangler and an arsenal of bobby pins. I jest now but when I coupled growing out my natural hair with morning runs before work, I quickly realized why they call it a "journey". A journey it has been. And while there are many variations of a few reasons to grow and live with yourself without alterations, for me I think the biggest is just to be able to firmly tell myself "you can fry it, die it, cut it and buy it - but just know: you're perfect just the way you are".
If you are natural, contemplating a transition, wanting a big chop or just want to come see what all the new vocabulary is all about, come out to the Carolina Natural Hair Expo in Columbia SC on Saturday October 29th 10am-4pm - Advance Tix are 5 bucks - you can get those here -- I will be shooting the event and selling my photog wares including some new images from my recent trip to Aruba! Hope to see you there! - toj

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI must admit I was not quick to agree with or appreciate this whole "going natural fad" as I used to call it. I felt many of the new converts were going natural only because it was the latest and greatest craze, simply jumping on the bandwagon, something in which I'm diametrically opposed. My eyes have since then been opened. I have viewed countless YouTube tutorials on how to maintain and develop many natural hair styles. Phrases such curl pattern and kinky twist are now apart of my vernacular. Miss Jessie and Carol's Daughter are not just friends of the family but products that will help clarify and define a curl pattern. I often see beautiful black women who have embarked upon this natural hair journey and succeeded in their own way. Honestly, I still feel going natural is not for everyone, but it just may be a journey worth taking if you're up for the challenge
ReplyDeleteI agree Pounce! :) but I think it's only "not for you" if you're not willing to put in the effort to make it work and chill enough to accept the crazy hair days until you figure it out
ReplyDeleteAwwww. Such a sweet thing to say Pounce!
ReplyDeleteI'll reserve my soapbox rant and rave on my own blog but I hate to see when people say that going natural is a fad or phase that "we're" (black girls) are in... It's the hair we were given... the hand we were dealt. Why not go for it? Our hair is so beautiful and I can't wait to fully embrace it and find the time to learn what it wants without braiding and twisting!! Yay Natural Hair Expo. Can't wait!
yikes... I meant to say I hate to hear people say...
ReplyDeleteI agree Nay. Why NOT go for it?! ... if that's what you want to do. If you want to do something else - do that - but not becuase someone told you you weren't good enough to be yourself
ReplyDelete