Sunday, October 9, 2011

I got a feelin

Exactly what is it about the coming of fall that creates a ch-ch-chill up my spine?  ummmm the chill up my spine perhaps.?. nooo it's not that cool in the south yet. I just left caribbean waters and am back on dry - very dry - land. But now I've gone back to an added little chill in the air. Just enough to be totally refreshing and exciting. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just memories of daddy taking us to the fair or ma wearing her infamous cookie-monster rope. The smell of a sweet potato baking in the oven as I looked for the missing foot to my beloved fuzzy socks. The promise of hot chocolate with extra marshmallows. Oh, I know it's not even close to being that cold but the first little chill in the air reminds me of chilly times gone by. I hope my nieces and nephews have bright colored robes of their own and look for their fuzzy socks and curl up in from of the tv at night with a cup of hot cocoa. It's just one of those things you gotta do. Like bubble baths and roasting marshmallows. Like having someone to scratch your back or comb your hair until their arm gets tired.You certainly can live without them but life's so much sweeter when you don't.

To all the little kids with no mommy or daddy - I hope one day you get your fuzzy socks, hot chocolate, trips to the fair and someone to embarrass you with a cookie monster robe.

2 comments:

  1. I normally wouldn't say anything but you had me wondering for a second what a "cookie monster rope" is/was and what was she going to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I read it as roBe without even hesitating. I loved that robe and I had forgotten all about it. =( Ugh and what was it with us and having someone else comb our hair. It's a sickness!
    You make fall actually sound appealing... all I can think of is the cold weather on the horizon. But maybe this fall I'll savor it a little more because of you.

    ReplyDelete