You know what I love? National Public Radio. Now most people who know me well already know that fun fact but I'm feeling particularly fond it this evening. Trust me when I tell you you really should give it a try if you're not already a fan. Or should I say if you THINK you're not a fan. Every time I click that button that lands on Public Radio I just wait with eager anticipation of what I'll learn next. These are not mindless stories that pretend to be headline news. The ones we've heard so many times that we begin to believe that they're actual of serious concern or at the very least mildly informative. The foolish drivel that no doubt kills my brain cells and lowers the IQ of my grandchildren not yet conceived.
I'm talking about the meaty, thoughtfully prepared pieces that provoke me to ponder, to wonder, to marvel, to THINK. The stories that lead me down paths and introduce me to people I otherwise would not know. People I might have otherwise looked upon with nonchalance or skepticism had I had an opportunity to look upon their faces before they spoke. Public Radio asks those questions I might ask if my world was quiet enough for me to think about point A, point B and many many points in between. And then it follows up that question with meaningful information. Imagine that. I know I know - there are other sources of information and thousands of books at my local library. But I guess that's part of the appeal of public radio to me. That wet, full, healthful well of information, point-of-view and personal experience after personal experience is right there at my finger tips every day - and it's free. Free I say! I would say amazing but I really try to hold on to that one for something truly mindbogglingly. Like the universe.
Public Radio is pretty awesome though. Probably an equally overused word but hey I've got to give it something better than "neat".
Give it a try - say maybe the show "This American Life" (from Public Radio Interntional via National Public Radio to us) Try to idle your attention span for just a bit, find a quiet spot (the car will do - it's kinda like holding yourself hostage) and check out Public Radio. If you become addicted - have no fear. The radio is our last free meal ... give or take a donation or two.
Who doesn't like a little "Tell me more", "Car Talk" or "What do you know?" on the weekends???...NPR is the best, even if it does sometimes have a liberal slant.
ReplyDeleteLiberal slant? I have no idea of what you speak - NPR is 100% disinterested ;)
ReplyDelete