Monday, March 14, 2011

Get Real

Tonight in the actor's studio, Bradley Cooper spoke to a captivated audience that included first and second year actors about the joys and challenges of being an actor. He caught my contemplative fancy when he spoke about endeavouring to be authentic -  not to act but to be ... authentic. I'm not sure if that concept is flowery or stripped down. As I think about it, it makes me squint and look to the side in my "wait, I'm thinking" sort of way and hover over that thought for a minute. Being authentic. He's trying to be sincere and genuine in the most fabricated of moments. Cameras, and people and cubicles of space feigning reality.

I hope I invest just as much energy into to being authentic and genuine and sincere in my day-to-day existence. Sometimes we can be dolls and action figures restricted to the Matell box of purchase. Put on a shelf and protected from the elements. From jelly coated fingers of ridicule and hard plastic scissors of criticism. After all we'll be worth something some day. To someone. Somewhere. Maybe. 

I don't know about you but I'd rather get that permanent haircut and the Sharpie tattoo. Beats the high shelf any day. I want to be authentic too. And hopefully the audiences will approve.

I realize I should be ticketed for mixing metaphors so shamelessly but that's what was on my mind. Blame it on being authentic ;)

SIDE NOTE: Columbia, SC

- Prince will be performing in Columbia, SC on March 21st ..yes, that Prince ...  tickets go on sale March 15th ... yes, tomorrow ... More info at wis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment