Sunday, February 27, 2011

Swell Bites

 


 If you ever drive through upstate South Carolina, be sure to follow the signs to The Beacon. That is if you're not keen enough to follow your nose. The Beacon is a culinary marker that would rightly sit in the top half of a list of ledendary South Carolinian Diners Drive-Ins and Dives.
 I became aqainted with this particular monument to Americana last April when support for a grieving friend took me to the Greenville-Spartanburg area. It was again greiving that brought the experience to mind earier this month after the passing away of The Beacon's founder, John B. White, Sr.  Mr. White opened The Beacon Drive-In in 1946 and ran it until his retirement in 1998.




The Beacon serves up their brand of Happy Days from 6:30am to 10pm Monday through Saturday at 255 John B. White Sr. Boulevard Spartanburg, SC 29306. When you feed the people good food for generations, they have have no choice but to rename the street after you - your name is the first that comes to mind! Next time you're in the upstate and you're willing to take a break from worrying about your waistine, check it out!! I know I will! In the meantime, we have these yummy reminders of my first meal there to motivate those extra crunches - I mean we do work out to eat well, don't we??!?

Oh and by the way, The Beacon hasn't escaped Guy Fieri's notice - he knows aaaaall about it ... check it out! (do I say that a lot?)




1 comment: