Okay so I must be thirty-something for sure becuase my idea of a Friday night is working out then coming home to mix up random alcoholic beveragees while cooking dinner for the bestie and being excited about watching Double Jeopardy later. Those old movie carosels in the "middle-of-the-aisle-close-to-the-frozen-food" section are surely for me. I buy more movies there than anywhere else but I promise you that's not saying much. I'm also the last living member of Blockbuster. Yes, you're thinking right. I actually park the car, get out and walk into a store to rent a movie. Crazy talk, right? I get that. But you must admit there are worse things in life. [Pan back to the carosel] ... Any who, I'm at least a modern 30-something because I've also found time to surf the net [people still say "surf the net", right?] while cooking ... Publix provided the salmon and crab pinwheels - AND THE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS! - YAH!!! I'm a sucker for the cooking instructions with purchase. I whipped up some red mashed potatoes [boiled salted potatoes + pepper+ butter + a few dollops o' daisy = yumm] ... and I my fav collard greens recipe from G Garvin. DVR this cooking cutie on
TV One Monday through Thursday at 11:30am:
Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey Bacon
Episode 3 : Its healthy soul: pan seared turkey chops, collard greens, sweet potato and apple casserole. G. shows us how to cut the fat without sacrificing the flavor.
Ingredients
2 pounds collard greens
2 cups chicken stock
½ cup white wine
1 cup water
1 large onion sliced
4-6 chopped cloves garlic
3 small chopped shallots
½ pound smoked turkey bacon chopped*
¼ cup olive oil
salt
pepper
Procedure
1. Heat large pan and add olive oil.
2. Sauté turkey bacon, onions, garlic and shallots in pan. Stir Occasionally.
3. Separate and rinse collard green leaves under water.
4. Roll 2-3 leaves together. Slice into thin strips.
5. Add collard greens to sautéed ingredients in pan.
6. Pour in white wine, chicken stock and water.
7. Cover pan and let cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
8. Stir every few minutes to distribute the smoked meat taste evenly.
9. Taste to confirm the tenderness you prefer.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*OKAY OKAY - you pulled it out of me!! I use regular ole Oscar Myer yummy bacon ... I'm probably lazier that I imagine when I say "I dont ever seeee turkey bacon!" Ha! I don't ever look!
No matter your idea of fun - have a great weekend!!
Talk about good eats!! It was delish!!
ReplyDelete